Deaf-Blind Equipment Program
Individuals with a combined hearing and vision loss may qualify for adaptive equipment for internet, telephone or videophone access through this federally funded program.Equipment that may be received through this program includes, but is not limited to:
- Laptop or desktop computers
- iPads or other tablets
- Computer software (i.e. screen reader software text zooming software)
- OCR (optical character recognition) devices
- Computer accessories including specialized keyboards, speakers, microphones, and mice
- Braille communicators
- Amplified telephones and cellular phones
Eligibility is established through an application process which requires proof of annual income and proof of disability by a doctor or other trained professional. To find out if you are eligible or to apply, download an application (below) or contact Scott Murray at our Falmouth Office: 207.797.7656. After eligibility is approved, an in-home / at-work assessment may be conducted to ensure that we find the appropriate equipment match to achieve successful communication.
Download an application - don't forget to print, sign your name and send to DRM Deaf Services!
Assistive Technology for Effective Distance Communication
In this webinar, participants will learn about:
- Maine Relay and the variety of services that help people with disabilities use the telephone.
- How Maine’s Telecommunication Equipment Program helps low-income Mainers stay connected.
- The National Deaf-Blind Equipment Program and the equipment, training, and support that is available for low-income Mainers who experience a combination vision and hearing loss.
- Debra Bare-Rogers
- Lisa Penney
- Scott Murray