Posted on November 17, 2023
Job Location: Augusta or Falmouth, with flexibility for hybrid work options. This position includes regular travel throughout Maine.
Disability Rights Maine, a progressive non-profit organization whose mission is to advance justice and equality by enforcing rights and expanding opportunities for people with disabilities in Maine, has an opening for a full-time advocate to join our team working on behalf of individuals with brain injuries and/or developmental disabilities.
DRM is seeking a detail-oriented individual who is committed to enforcing and enhancing the rights of people with disabilities and who possesses strong interpersonal skills to interact with people with disabilities, providers and family members in a variety of settings. The successful candidate with be expected to execute projects with a high degree of independence, while working within DRM’s team-oriented atmosphere.
The duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Providing direct advocacy and self-advocacy assistance to individuals with brain injuries and/or developmental disabilities;
- Responding to reported rights violations;
- Attending meetings reviewing the use of behavior management plans, Person-Centered Planning meetings, and other meetings regarding service delivery and planning;
- Participating in outreach and monitoring activities in places where people with disabilities live and receive services;
- Conducting training and other public education efforts regarding the rights of individuals with disabilities;
- Bachelor’s degree or other relevant life experience.
- Strong commitment to social justice and the rights of people with disabilities.
- The ability to master rules, regulations, and policy areas.
- The ability to develop and pursue innovative high-impact advocacy strategies; and strong communication skills.
- Experience working alongside or on behalf of individuals with disabilities is strongly preferred.
Augusta or Falmouth, with flexibility for hybrid work options. This position includes regular travel throughout Maine.
Salary range: $42,000-$50,000
Benefits include: employer funded health insurance with options for dental and vision; employer funded life insurance; employer 401(k) match of up to 4% of salary; long term disability insurance; and 14 paid holidays, paid parental leave and generous vacation and sick leave.
To apply, send a cover letter and a resume to:
Chief Financial Officer
Disability Rights Maine
160 Capitol Street, Suite 4
Augusta, ME 04330
This position will remain posted until filled.
DRM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Persons from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.