Civil Rights Staff Attorney
Posted on September 13, 2023
Job Location: Falmouth or Augusta, with flexibility for remote work options.
Disability Rights Maine, a progressive non-profit organization whose mission is to advance justice and equality by enforcing rights and expanding opportunities for people with disabilities in Maine, has an opening for a staff attorney.
DRM is seeking an attorney who is committed to enforcing and enhancing the rights of people with disabilities and who possesses strong interpersonal skills to communicate with people with disabilities, government agencies, providers, and family members in a variety of settings.
The Staff Attorney’s duties include investigating allegations of abuse, neglect, and rights violations; representing individuals across a variety of settings, including at meetings with government agencies, administrative hearings, and court proceedings; working as part of a team to develop and pursue innovative high impact advocacy and litigation strategies; engaging in training and public education efforts to support systemic change; and representing individuals with disabilities on various work groups, boards, and commissions. The successful candidate with be expected to execute projects with a high degree of independence, while working within DRM’s team-oriented atmosphere.
Applicants must have:
- A license to practice law in Maine or eligibility to practice under Maine Rule of Civil Procedure 89(c) while seeking admission to the Maine Bar (although individuals who sat for the Maine Bar in the summer of 2023 and are waiting for results are eligible to apply);
- The ability to master regulations and policy;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written;
- The ability to develop and pursue innovative high impact advocacy strategies;
- The ability to execute projects with a high degree of independence, while working within DRM’s team-oriented atmosphere;
- Sensitivity to cultural, socioeconomic and communication diversity; and
- A demonstrated commitment to economic and social justice.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience working alongside and on behalf of individuals with disabilities;
- Knowledge and experience related to some or all of the following: the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Maine Human Rights Act, the Help America Vote Act, the Social Security Act and the Medicaid Act and other laws impacting the rights of individuals with disabilities.
This position handles confidential and private information and government security clearance is required. Persons employed in this position must receive clearance following a background investigation conducted by the United States Government Office of Personnel Management.
Falmouth or Augusta, with flexibility for remote work options. This position includes regular travel throughout Maine.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for DRM attorneys is currently $55,120 - $93,600, depending on experience.
Benefits include: employer funded health insurance with options for dental and vision; employer funded life insurance; employer 401(k) match of up to 4% of salary; long term disability insurance; and 14 paid holidays, paid parental leave and generous vacation and sick leave.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, send a cover letter and a resume to:
Chief Financial Officer
Disability Rights Maine
160 Capitol Street, Suite 4
Augusta, ME 04330
This position will remain open until filled.
DRM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Persons from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.