Mental Health Attorney
Posted on November 15, 2023
Job Location: This position includes regular travel throughout Maine and can be based at either the DRM office in Falmouth or Augusta in combination with hybrid/remote work options.
Disability Rights Maine, a progressive non-profit organization whose mission is to advance justice and equality by enforcing rights and expanding opportunities for people with disabilities in Maine, has an opening for an attorney to join our mental health advocacy team.
The Mental Health Attorney’s duties include developing and presenting rights trainings, conducting extensive outreach into the community, and providing representation in institutional and community-based settings including at treatment team meetings, administrative hearings and court proceedings.
Duties also include working on systemic litigation and other initiatives designed to advance the rights of individuals living with psychiatric labels throughout Maine and conducting investigations into allegations of abuse, neglect and/or exploitation.
- J.D. degree and license to practice law in Maine or eligibility to practice under Maine Rule of Civil Procedure 89(c) while seeking admission to the Maine Bar.
- Experience working with individuals with psychiatric labels.
- The ability to master regulations and policy.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- The ability to develop and pursue innovative high impact advocacy strategies.
- Be capable of executing projects with a high degree of independence, while working within DRM’s team-oriented atmosphere.
- A commitment to economic and social justice.
This position includes regular travel throughout Maine and can be based at either the DRM office in Falmouth or Augusta in combination with hybrid/remote work options.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for DRM attorneys is currently $55,120 - $93,600, depending on experience.
Benefits include: employer funded health insurance with options for dental and vision; employer funded life insurance; employer 401(k) match of up to 4% of salary; long term disability insurance; and 14 paid holidays, paid parental leave and generous vacation and sick leave.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, send a cover letter and a resume by December 15, 2023 to:
Chief Financial Officer
160 Capitol Street, Suite 4
Augusta, ME 04330
DRM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Persons from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.