Rep Payee Review Program
A representative payee is a person or organization appointed by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to manage a person’s SSDI or SSI benefits. SSA appoints a representative payee if they determine that a person cannot manage their Social Security benefits on their own.
In March 2018, legislation was passed by the U.S. Senate to increase independent oversight of representative payees. As a result of the Strengthening Protections for Social Security Beneficiaries Act of 2018, Disability Rights Maine now conducts representative payee reviews on behalf of the Social Security Administration.
What does the program do?
- Reviews of Representative Payees
- Educational Visits
- Corrective Action Plans
- Information and Referral to Beneficiaries
FAQ for Individuals
How can I report a problem with my payee?
If you have concerns about your representative payee, you should notify your local Social Security Office as soon as possible.
You may also contact Disability Rights Maine at 800.452.1948. We will discuss your concerns and/or complete a referral for a review of your payee by SSA.
Social Security FAQ for Beneficiaries
When a Payee Manages Your Money
Understanding Your Benefits
Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Fraud Hotline
FAQ for Rep Payees
Best Practices for Rep Payees
Social Security Rep Payee FAQ
Guide for Individual Rep Payees
Guide for Organizational Payees
SSA Training for Organizational Payees
Understanding Social Security Income (SSI)
What should I expect during a Representative Payee review by DRM?
COVID-19 Representative Payee Program Update
Representative Payee monitoring is ongoing during COVID-19
“However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, the state Protection and Advocacy (P&A) networks will conduct any new representative payee monitoring reviews by phone or mail to comply with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s social distancing guidelines. The P&As are also completing pending reviews initiated before the COVID-19 pandemic.” - SSA.gov, April 9, 2020
- SSA Representative Payee homepage: https://www.ssa.gov/payee/index.htm
- Social Security information about stimulus checks
- Questions and Answers: https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/#anchorA
- Economic Impact Payments for Social Security and SSI Recipients – Steps to Take and Schedule of Payments (PDF): https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/assets/materials/economic-impact-payments-for-social-security-and-ssi-recipients.pdf
- DRM Blog Post regarding stimulus checks: https://drme.org/blog/2020-05-14
- State of Maine FAQ on stimulus checks and child support: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/ofi/programs-services/child-support-services/stimulus-faq
- Federal Trade Commission press release, FTC Alerts Consumers About Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities Taking Stimulus Checks From Medicaid Patients, May 15, 2020: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2020/05/ftc-alerts-consumers-about-nursing-homes-assisted-living
- Social Security and Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/
Trainings & Upcoming Events
Disability Pride 2023