COVID-19 Resources for People with Disabilities
Posted on April 08, 2020
Dear Clients, Friends and Allies;
I am reaching out again from Disability Rights Maine (DRM) to remind you that we are still here! DRM staff are still working to ensure that the rights of people with disabilities are upheld.
Advocates and attorneys are still working on their cases, but doing so remotely. In addition to the normal work, we are calling providers with a survey related to COVID-19 issues, we are conducting virtual training, we are doing a systematic monitoring project to check on our clients, we are calling current and previous clients and of course, our intake is fully functioning just like it normally does so be sure to call us if you are aware of or experiencing a disability related rights violation.
DRM's offices and phone lines remain open. Many of our staff are working remotely in order to limit contact with one another but our administrative staff continue to answer phones and can direct you to the person you are calling for, or can set you up with an intake appointment if you need assistance and don't currently have an advocate. We have suspended walk-in and in person intake appointments.
If you are currently working with one of our advocates or attorneys, they are available via telephone or email. If you need assistance from DRM, please contact our office by calling 800.452.1948 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out our Facebook page for updates.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this uncertain time. Stay safe.
- COVID-19 Special Education Re-entry Guidance (Video) - Online training jointly presented with Maine Parent Federation on August 17, 2020
- Protecting the Rights of Students with Disabilities During and After the COVID-19 Educational Disruption (Word) - Updated August 2020
- How to Request a COVID-Related Reasonable Accommodation (Video) - Online training jointly presented with the Consumer Council System of Maine (CCSM) and Speaking Up for Us (SUFU) on August 5, 2020
- Children's Home and Community-Based Services During COVID-19 (Video) - Online training jointly presented with Maine Parent Federation on May 20, 2020
- COVID-19 & Special Education Guidance (Video) - Online training jointly presented with Maine Parent Federation on April 30, 2020
- Urgent Grievances in the Community & COVID-19 - Online training jointly presented with the Consumer Council System of Maine on April 9, 2020
- Protecting the Rights of Students with Disabilities During and After the COVID-19 Educational Disruption (Word) - Updated April 21, 2020
- Protecting the Rights of Students with Disabilities in Public Schools during the COVID-19 Outbreak (Word) - March 2020
Office of the Governor
- Press Release: Governor Mills Extends State of Civil Emergency As Maine Continues to Combat COVID-19
- Press Release: Governor Mills Extends Maine's Stay at Home Order
- coronavirus.maine.gov/mainehelps - a new online resource that outlines ways in which Maine people can support efforts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
Maine Department of Education
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus) A Parent Resource (PDF) - National Assoc of School Psychologists and NASN
- Resources for Anxiety about Coronavirus - Shine, in partnership with Mental Health America
Maine Department of Health & Human Services
Children's Behavioral Health Services:
Office of MaineCare Services:
- Questions about COVID-19 and MaineCare? Email COVID19MaineCare@maine.gov
- Non-Emergency Transportation (NET) COVID-19 Member Guidance (PDF) - Updated 11/03/2020
Office of Aging & Disability Services:
Office of Behavioral Health:
Office for Family Independence:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Economic Impact (Stimulus) Payments and the Treasury Offset Program
Maine Department of Labor
Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry
Administration for Community Living - ACL.gov:
US Centers for Disease Control:
US Department of Education:
- Secretary DeVos Reiterates Learning Must Continue for All Students, Declines to Seek Congressional Waivers to FAPE, LRE Requirements of IDEA
US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
US Department of Labor
US Department of Health and Human Services
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services:
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services:
Office of Civil Rights
Social Security Administration:
- SSA Guidance on Benefits: https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/categories/monthly-benefits-and-other-financial-help/
- SSA September 2021 Newsletter: https://www.ssa.gov/news/newsletter/
- SSA Rule Change: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/reference.nsf/links/07232021123646PM
- Economic Impact Payments for Social Security and SSI Recipients - Steps to Take and Schedule of Payments (PDF)
- All local Social Security offices will be closed to the public for in-person service starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020.
- What workloads is SSA not doing during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- We will not start or complete any current medical continuing disability reviews. If you have a medical continuing disability review pending, please do not request medical information from your doctors at this time. We will follow up with you for any medical evidence once the COVID-19 public health emergency subsides.
- Where possible, we are suspending our processing and collection of overpayments.
- We are not conducting organization or individual representative payee accountings.
- We will not be able to process a third party requests for information, except from appointed representatives and representative payees.
- We will not process any Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Statement from Social Security Commissioner Andrew Saul about COVID-19 Economic Impact Payments for Beneficiaries
- Press Release: Supplemental Security Income Recipients Will Receive Automatic COVID-19 Economic Impact Payments
US Department of Veterans Affairs:
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau:
Federal Emergency Management Agency:
Federal Trade Commission:
Other Agency Resources
- COVID-19 Disability Accommodation Form (PDF) - Speaking Up for Us (SUFU) Maine
- A Self-Advocate's Guide to COVID-19 (PDF) - Green Mountain Self-Advocates
- Impact on the Disability Community - Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act and Family First Response Act (PDF) - National Disability Institute
- Let's Talk COVID-19 (PDF) - Washington State Council on Developmental Disabilities
- Supporting Communication with Patients who have COVID-19 - Patient-Provider Communication Forum
- Plain Language Information on COVID-19 (PDF) - SARTAC is the Self Advocacy Resource and Technical Assistance Center (This booklet was created by Green Mountain Self-Advocates, a SARTAC partner.)
- COVID-19 in the Workplace - Equip for Equality. The first part is specifically geared toward Illinois employees, but this resource also includes information about federal laws.
- COVID-19 and Social Insurance and Benefit Programs (PDF) - Institute on Employment and Disability, Cornell University
- Fact Sheet: Rights of People with Disabilities and Self-Advocacy Tips When Receiving Medical Care (PDF) - Center for Dignity in Healthcare for People with Disabilities
- COVID-19 and Public Benefits Resource (Word) - Maine Medical Center, Benefits Counseling Services
- COVID-19 Toolkit for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder - Autism Focused Intervention Resources & Modules (AFIRM), University of North Carolina
- Wearing a Mask Social Story - Visual Guide for Individuals with Autism - Autism Services, Education, Resources, and Training Collaborative (ASERT), Pennsylvania
- National Homework Hotline for Blind/Visually Impaired Students (NHH-BVI) - VISTAS Education Partners
- Accessibility Tips for a Better Zoom/Virtual Meeting Experience - Deaf/Hard of Hearing Technology Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center
- Community Learning for ME - A collaboration between Rural Aspirations, Maine DOE and other cross-sector organizations.
- COVID-19 Communication Rights Toolkit - CommunicationFIRST
- Working with Your Personal Attendant to Keep you Safe from Coronavirus (PDF) - Program for Healthcare Justice for People with Disabilities
- Coming Together During COVID-19: Concerns and Connections - National Federation of the Blind
- COVID-19 Toolkit: Modifying Routines - Autism Society
- FAQ on Housing Issues for People with Disabilities During the COVID-19 Crisis (PDF) - National Low Income Housing Coalition & The Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities
- Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) and Stimulus Checks: What You Need to Know (PDF) - National Center on Law & Elder Rights
- Prevention of COVID-19: Modifications and Accommodations for Individuals with Disabilities (PDF) - Project REDD and the Center on Disability and Development at Texas A&M University
- Tips for First Responders, 5th Edition (PDF) - The University of New Mexico, Center for Development and Disability
- COVID-19 Support Program for Chronic Disease Patients and Their Families (Free) - Global Healthy Living Foundation
- Supporting Mental Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic - National Institute of Mental Health
- Coronavirus Anxiety Workbook (PDF) - The Wellness Society
- Teen Text Support Line - NAMI Maine (Text 207.515.8398)
- Intentional Warm Line - Call 866.771.9276
- FrontLine Warm Line - Call 207.221.8196 or 866.367.4440
Food Access Resources
- School Meal Directory - Maine Department of Education
- Maine Food Bank Map - Good Shepard Food Bank
- Maine Farm and Seafood Directory - UMaine Cooperative Extension
- It's Okay to be Overwhelmed: Home Schooling Your Special Needs Child During COVID-19 - Maine Parent Federation
- Natural Practices for Supporting Special Education at Home - Maine Parent Federation & CCIDS
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports at Home During COVID-19 - Maine Parent Federation
- Coronavirus Tips for Staying Healthy - The Self-Determination Channel of Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilities
- Parenting During the Coronavirus - Child Mind Institute
- Thrive With Your Family Web Series - University of Michigan, C.S. Mott Children's Hospital
- Interview with Ross Greene: Supporting Challenging Behavior at Home during COVID-19 - Make Social Learning Stick
- COVID-19: What in the World is Going On? - Washington State Developmental Disabilities Council
- COVID-19 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Access to programs and services (Video & Handouts) - Great Lakes ADA Center
- COVID-19 & Disability: Social Distancing - American Association on Health and Disability (AAHD)
- COVID 19 & Disability: Being a Self-Advocate - American Association on Health and Disability (AAHD)
- What You Need to Know About COVID-19 - Plain language video about COVID-19 by Rooted in Rights & ASAN
- Social Security & Covid-19: SSI/SSDI Stimulus Payments & Unemployment - The disAbility Law Center of Virginia
- What You Should Know About COVID-19: A guide for people in group homes, nursing homes, and other residential facilities - Disability Rights New York